Image hover module

images/slideshow/1-Cow-and-calf.jpg#joomlaImage://local-images/slideshow/1-Cow-and-calf.jpg?width=1150&height=808

Cow & Calf

Cow & Calf
images/slideshow/2-DA-winner-3-of-3-19.jpg#joomlaImage://local-images/slideshow/2-DA-winner-3-of-3-19.jpg?width=1150&height=813

Design awards

Design awards
images/slideshow/3-Peace-exhibition-090719.jpg#joomlaImage://local-images/slideshow/3-Peace-exhibition-090719.jpg?width=1150&height=808

Peace exhibition

Peace exhibition

Ilkley Civic Society Recent Articles

Hydros to the cemetery

2pm 15 August 2026 We will be meeting at the Ashlands Road Gates to the Cemetery to learn more about those who were involved with the Hydros and who are...

Read More

Eastern Hydros Walk

Ilkley Civic Society Heritage Walk – Eastern Hydros On Saturday July 25 at 2pm we meet at the junction of Cowpasture Road and Wheatley Road.  We...

Read More

Who's buried here?

The friends of Ilkley Cemetery not only do regular gardening work to remove brambles and saplings from overgrown graves, uncovering hidden graves, leaf...

Read More

On Saturday 30th May a Blue Plaque was unveiled at Wells House, sponsored by the management committee of Wells House and Ilkley Civic Society. The Ilkley Civic Society’s Blue Plaque Scheme, celebrates the history of Ilkley and of buildings that have shaped the town.   

It is 170 years since the opening of Wells House, on 28th May 1856. A group of Bradford businessmen chaired by Benjamin Briggs Popplewell formed the Wells House Hydropathic Establishment and Hotel Company to build the hydro. In 1853 they agreed to buy 9 acres of land on Wells Road, opposite the old Ilkley Wells (White Wells) for £4,000 from the lord of the manor, Peter Middelton. They advertised for designs and chose the Italianate palazzo style by Cuthbert Brodrick, who had recently started work on Leeds Town Hall. The contractors were Pickard and Ogden of Bradford.

By the time the building and furnishings were completed, it was said to have cost in all £30,000. It featured a central open courtyard and an internal corridor, which could be used for exercise in inclement weather. The main large entrance faced south. The spacious dining room with an adjoining drawing room was able to accommodate about 150 guests at the opening meal. Upstairs there were 87 bedrooms with six large bathrooms for treatments.  At the four corners there were towers, with the billiard room and the smoking room located at the top of two of them.

Henry Strachan was the well-respected manager, and the first doctor was Dr Rischanek of Vienna. Both had worked at the Ben Rhydding Hydro. The second doctor was Dr Edmund Smith, who treated Charles Darwin in 1859. When Dr Smith died in 1864 his grateful patients installed a stained-glass window of St Luke in All Saints Parish Church.

The next Civic Society walk is on Saturday June 20 at 2pm from the Canker Well. For more information contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Layer Slideshow Lite

Become a member

Ilkley Civic Society

60th anniversary Gallery

Help us by making a donation

Ilkley Civic Society