Formerly the Rose & Crown, this pub re-opened as the Black Hat in November 2014. The name is derived from a fund-raising cricket match first held in Ilkley in 1880 where one team identified itself with black hats. The pub has retained its open plan layout but has been given a modern but traditional revamp. 

 

The Star Hotel was built in 1905 to replace the old 'Star Inn' which was demolished to make way for New Brook Street. The Star renamed to The Dalesway Hotel in 2009 which closed just over a year ago. What will be next for the building?

 Ilkleyfromthemoor

Remember the Wharfedale Gate on Leeds Road? It closed soon after this photo was taken in 2002. Low Beck, a housing development is now on the site. (Thanks to Mike Dixon for the photo)

 

Silvio's cafe with The Gateway pub above were situated on the corner of Brook Street and West Street!
The Gatway became The Honest Lawyer in the 1990's incorporating the ground floor, then became Johnsons, before changing to Piccolino's in the 2000s.
 

Bridge House [Riverside Hotel] was built in 1860 for Thomas Dove as an hotel and restaurant. In the 1890s Septimus Wray developed Wray’s Pleasure Ground, renting more land around the river. In July 1900 it was damaged by the great flood from a six hour thunder storm. By 1901 the Pleasure Ground advertised concerts in the new pavilion and dancing every Saturday night, an aviary and monkey house, cycling track, gala field and shelter for 3000 persons in wet weather! By 1912 there were boats to hire from the landing on the river bank.